Saturday, June 9, 2012

Good Stuff, part 7

"'I'm sad because you're going to die.'

'Yeah,' he [Feynman] sighed, 'that bugs me sometimes too. But not so much as you'd think.' And after a few more steps, 'When you get as old as I am, you start to realize that you've told most of the good stuff you know to other people anyway.'

We walked along in silence for a few minutes. Then we came to a place where another trail crossed ours and Richard stopped to look around at the surroundings. Suddenly a grin lit up his face. 'Hey,' he said, all trace of sadness forgotten, 'I bet I can show you a better way home.'

And so he did."

-- W. Daniel Hillis in "Most of the Good Stuff": Memories of Richard Feynman, Laurie M. Brown and John S. Rigden eds, American Institute of Physics, New York, 1993, pg 150.

No comments:

ScienceDaily: Latest Science News

ScienceNOW

Livescience.com

SPACE.com

The Great Beyond

The Green Life

TPM Idea Lab

 
Blog Directory - Blogged